haruni

Senior Student of Knowledge

Lead

Oct 7 12 8:55 AM

Tags : :

After having heard the reading of Bulugh al-Maram in South Africa online and having read along for a great part I wonder about the many weak ahadith that are quoted by imam Ibn Hajar. Or have I misunderstood that? How do I understand this? This book is about ahkam and mainly for the Shafi'i madhhab, how come so many seemingly weak ahadith are quoted by the imam? I always thought this was not allowed in most cases. Can someone explain this?

Quote    Reply   

abuzayd

Student of Knowledge

#2 [url]

Oct 8 12 9:56 PM

Brother Harun, I believe Ibn Hajar's intent in Bulugh al-Maram was to compile a template of the primary proof-texts used by scholars of fiqh (mainly of the Shafii madhab but also of others) rather than a purely authentic compilation of hadith. That is why he often points out within the text when a hadith is considered weak. He includes the narrations nevertheless because they are used as proofs by jurists (adillatil ahkam).

Quote    Reply   

haruni

#3 [url]

Oct 9 12 1:18 PM

To brother Juniid: I prefer to the opinions of the mutaqaddimin over many of the later mutaakhirin where it concerns grading / classification of the ahadith; moreover, this suffices.

To brother Abu Zayd: Clear, jazak Allahu khayra. My question then is: so based on this it is allowed to use weak ahadith for ahkam because Ibn Hajar and others did it?

Quote    Reply   

abuzayd

Student of Knowledge

#4 [url]

Oct 9 12 11:03 PM

The question of the allowance of weaker narrations in fiqh or other issues is a deeper one that our scholars can answer. But I don't think Ibn Hajar's inclusion was a judgement call that he allowed their use, but it could be taken as his pointing out those narrations that were weak. Again, he appears to have merely compiled all the proof-texts in one volume for others to use them as they may.

Br Harun, there is a counter argument that in some issues, such as hadith grading, the muta'akhireen have precedence because they have greater access to a wider variety of resources and writings coupled with the benefit of hindsight. 

Quote    Reply   

haruni

#5 [url]

Oct 11 12 1:12 PM

Salam dear brother Abu Zayd,

Jazak Allahu khayran for the clarification. Perhaps shaykh Mohammed could elaborate insha'Allah on the issue.

As for the counter argument: yes, I agree. That's why I wrote "many". So of these times I would prefer shaykh Nur ud-Din 'Itr, shaykh Zuhayr ibn Nasir or shaykh Shu'ayb al-Arna'ut to name a few.

Anyways, may Allah let us benefit of these shuyukh and may let us benefit of the work of other shuyukh as well in this field.  

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help